A recognized leader on veteran’s issues, education, law enforcement, transportation, and economic development, TCU Honors alumna and former State Senator Wendy Davis earned numerous honors during her tenure in the Texas Legislature. She was also the Democratic nominee for Texas Governor in 2014.
Davis is an attorney, business owner and former Fort Worth City Councilwoman.
As Senator Davis, she focused on job creation and stabilizing local economies, protecting the pocketbooks of hard-working Texans, protecting our state’s most-vulnerable, and enhancing educational opportunities for all Texans. Davis distinguished herself as a leader who brings together parties to find common ground toward common sense solutions.
The first in her family to earn a college degree, she attended Tarrant County College, graduated top of her class at Texas Christian University and with honors from Harvard Law School. Senator Davis is a partner in Newby Davis, PLLC, a certified MWBE law firm, and serves as Counsel to Cantey Hanger, LLP as well.
Senator Davis was elected to the Legislature in 2008 and served on the Committees on Education, Transportation & Homeland Security, Veteran Affairs & Military Installations, and International Relations & Trade.
In 2009, upon being named legislative “Rookie of the Year” by Texas Monthly, the magazine wrote, “That old rule that freshmen are supposed to stay quiet? She proved it can be ignored if you’re smart, tough, and well prepared.” Other honors that Senator Davis has recently received include:
- Taxpayer Champion – Texas Conference of Urban Counties
- Leadership Award – Texas Veterans Commission
- Veterans Service Award – Jewish War Veterans Post #755
- Freshman of the Year – AARP
- Legislative Star – Texas Classroom Teachers Association
- Best of Senate Legislative Award – CLEAT (Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas)
- Distinguished Legislative Service – Texas Municipal League
- Freshman of the Year – Texas Watch
- Friend of Texas Historic Preservation – Preservation Texas
- Texas Outstanding Public Servant – Public Citizen Texas
- Appreciation Award – Texas Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems
- Friend of County Government – Texas Association of Counties
- Readers’ Choice, Best Servant of the People – Fort Worth Weekly
- Best Person to Watch – Fort Worth, Texas Magazine
Prior to being elected to the Legislature, Senator Davis served nine years on the Fort Worth City Council until her election to the Senate in 2008. She served as Chair of the Regional Transportation Council from 2005-06. As a councilmember, she distinguished herself as a leader on transportation issues and economic development projects that helped grow the local economy and helped Fort Worth attract stable, high-paying jobs.
Senator Davis’ civic activities include serving on the Advisory Board of Cenikor, Women’s Policy Forum, League of Women Voters, and area Chambers of Commerce. She is an avid runner and cyclist, and is the proud mother of two daughters, Amber and Dru.